38 replies to this topic

#1 Punk Rock Geek

Punk Rock Geek

Challenge Conventional Thinking

• Administrators
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

I know.  I know.

I just sort of disappeared without an explanation.  And every time I thought of coming back, I found myself even more overwhelmed by the monumental task I would have at trying to bring this forum back to life.  So I just retreated from it completely.  I’m sorry for that.
It’s been over 10 years now.  I find it hard to even comprehend that.

On September 16, 2004 I started The People United thinking that nothing serious would really come from it. And granted, that would have been the case if it weren’t for A-F Records’ Katie posting it on the Gossip section of Anti-Flag.com, giving me a very early surge of traffic.  (Thanks Katie)  From that point on, I knew that I wanted to dedicate my time to establishing and maintaining the internet’s only (up to date) Anti-Flag fansite.

But I always wanted it to be more than that. I named the forum The People United after lines found in both Anti-Flag’s “One People One Struggle” and “Protest Song” because there was something truly empowering about those songs to me -- to know that I was not alone in this struggle and that change was possible through unity.  My vision was always to create a space where radical punks could come together and figure out ways to change the world together, if even in small amounts.   I hope this website in some way contributed to or encouraged your own political development or activism.  I know it did mine.

It was here that I first posted about Occupy Wall Street.  The Occupy movement was significant for me in that it was the first time I ever felt I belonged to something outside of the safety of this website.  It taught me a lot about what capacities we have for change, the hurdles we face, what has been done, what still needs to be done, and where I fit in within it.

Nowadays, I have several meetings and actions a week for a wide variety of local activist groups, I am the co-founder of an organic food co-operative, and currently have a job fundraising for groups like Amnesty International and World Animal Protection.  That was all made possible because of this website.

I was surprised to see how different everything is when you’re on the ground experiencing it.  So with that sentiment, I want to apologize for being a little too protective of my ego over the years.  Spending time organizing offline has allowed me to sit back and listen to the people who are obviously more experienced than I and to not assume I have the correct answers all of the time.

The internet has changed a lot since then as well.  When TPU started, nobody had even heard of Wikipedia.  Facebook did not exist.  Youtube did not exist.

Today, everyone is connected to each other.  Everything can be liked and shared on dozens of social networks with the click of a button.  And there are already endless ways to filter who you share that content with.

It was hard to see this all happening and to still justify my role as a forum administrator. I kept it going for as long as I could, I didn’t want to abandon something that I had placed so much work into.  But I can’t do it anymore.  And I’m sure that’s not a surprise to anyone.

This isn’t necessarily a goodbye, but it is the beginning of a new chapter.  I am open to giving someone else admin access, if there is a demand for it.  This website can either turn into an Anti-Flag fansite, it can become its own thing, or it can just wither away quietly.  That’s really up to you all at this point.

Regardless, it will be taken down from Anti-Flag.com shortly to allow room for the site to go in whatever direction seems fitting to whoever is left here.  Maybe it will be added back to Anti-Flag.com one day, but that is dependent on what it becomes.

Know that this is my decision and one that I have been putting off for a long time.  I was 17 when I started TPU.  I am now 27.  I owe this forum a lot.  If it wasn’t for TPU, I never would have got hired by the band for web work; a working relationship that I maintain today.  I never would have met all of you amazing people, some of which I have met in person.  My politics would still be pretty terrible.

I would have been a nobody without you all.  So thank you dearly from the bottom of my heart.  It was great learning about all of you and watching you change over the years.  So whoever is still here, please give me a shout back, and let me know how you’re feeling.

Peace Love Unity
~Punk Rock Geek
I'm PRG/Poofah, and I ran http://peacepunk.net for nearly 5 years before being promoted to the official Anti-Flag website. It's nice to meet you all! I will be administering this forum alongside Anti-Flag and the A-F Records crew.

#2 ECS

ECS

Punk By The Book

• Punk By The Book
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Welcome back PRG....no matter what has transpired, thank you for all did to make this place what it was.

No telling what the future will bring, but wish you all the best.

ECS
No Rules Press: poetry without apology........ at norulespress.com

#3 Floyd

Floyd

the new Emporor of TPU. Overthrow me, I dare you!

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

wow hi you came back! whats up dudr?

View Posthorse_ebooks, on 13 September 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

TO RELAX WITH FRIENDS HOW TO RELAX WITH FRIENDS HOW TO RELAX WITH FRIENDS HOW TO RELAX WITH FRIENDS Listen to good music from CDs, tapes

http://chorusofone.no-ip.org/ -strike anywhere forum. join it.

os2warp.tumblr.com

I'M TALKING TO MYSELF, ITS GREAT!

#4 Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil

Captain Anarchy

• Captain Anarchy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

I can't believe it's been 10 years already. Now I feel old.
Myspace

“Take Anti-Flag, for instance; they’ve got the political views of a freshman girl at Brown University.”

#5 James

James

i have 1 warning point

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostBlue Eyed Devil, on 05 April 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

you are old

Posted Image

#6 Floyd

Floyd

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostJames, on 05 April 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostBlue Eyed Devil, on 05 April 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

you are old
yeah and his signature still links to myspace

by the way, prg, if you do shut this place down, you should join the tpu facebook group there's no reason we cant still all be friends even if it is on an inferior website system.

TO RELAX WITH FRIENDS HOW TO RELAX WITH FRIENDS HOW TO RELAX WITH FRIENDS HOW TO RELAX WITH FRIENDS Listen to good music from CDs, tapes

os2warp.tumblr.com

#7 steenie

steenie

is awesome

• Anti-Violent
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

I vote Floyd for new Admin.
   Posted Image  !!

#8 Floyd

Floyd

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

i dont want to be the new admin i'd probably leave for months at a time too, all i ever wanted to be was a simple moderator. dont put me in charge just let me kill spambots and fuck around with stuff sometimes.

os2warp.tumblr.com

#9 Man

Man

Teenage Kennedy

• Teenage Kennedy
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

I think we should probably have more than one new admin. So if one leaves the other one can find someone else. Its probably to much but the possibility to elect admins would be cool.

#10 Punk Rock Geek

Punk Rock Geek

• Administrators
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

I am very open to anything. ^_^
I'm PRG/Poofah, and I ran http://peacepunk.net for nearly 5 years before being promoted to the official Anti-Flag website. It's nice to meet you all! I will be administering this forum alongside Anti-Flag and the A-F Records crew.

#11 ECS

ECS

Punk By The Book

• Punk By The Book
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

PRG,

If there is any shot of keeping this place alive and vital....we really need to clean out the spam accounts/posts.

Could you designate a few mods to keep the board clean while you are away? (Ban and edit abilities)

Could you also clarify this a bit: (where are we headed?)

"This isn’t necessarily a goodbye, but it is the beginning of a new chapter.  I am open to giving someone else admin access, if there is a demand for it.  This website can either turn into an Anti-Flag fansite, it can become its own thing, or it can just wither away quietly.  That’s really up to you all at this point.

Regardless, it will be taken down from Anti-Flag.com shortly to allow room for the site to go in whatever direction seems fitting to whoever is left here.  Maybe it will be added back to Anti-Flag.com one day, but that is dependent on what it becomes."

ECS
No Rules Press: poetry without apology........ at norulespress.com

#12 John

John

Captain Anarchy

• 1,221 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

PRG, just want to say you're a great person and it is inspiring to see someone so consistently dedicated to making the world a better place as you are. "Real life" put my ideals in the backseat for me and sometimes I look back thinking, I could have been more serious about making a difference. And maybe I still can.

I really think that if TPU got restarted as an independent site from AF's site, it'd have a chance. Maybe never to be how it was but a cool and close-knit community. Or not. But it fading away won't change our experiences on it.

It's crazy how I've changed since I was 14 year old anarchistloserkid. I'll remember this site fondly, though, I did too much on it to ever forget.
Posted Image

#13 Floyd

Floyd

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

honestly i dont care what happens i would like for the site to continue to exist in some form, i also think it might get bigger again if it wasn't the "official" anti-flag forum anymore, we need a diverse user group, not just people who listen to one band, but if it must fade away into digital oblivion, well at least we'll always have the fake accounts we made on other message boards (i say this because "we'll always have stormfront" sounded terrible) and some stuff is still on the internet archive. if it must be shut down, maybe keep it all online in some kind of read-only format as a memorial for future generations.

one thing i ask, while you're here, if you don't do anything else, will you PLEASE DELETE THE ACCOUNT KNOWN AS "XRumerTest"

os2warp.tumblr.com

#14 Punk Rock Geek

Punk Rock Geek

• Administrators
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

View PostECS, on 07 April 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

PRG,

If there is any shot of keeping this place alive and vital....we really need to clean out the spam accounts/posts.

Could you designate a few mods to keep the board clean while you are away? (Ban and edit abilities)

Could you also clarify this a bit: (where are we headed?)

"This isn’t necessarily a goodbye, but it is the beginning of a new chapter.  I am open to giving someone else admin access, if there is a demand for it.  This website can either turn into an Anti-Flag fansite, it can become its own thing, or it can just wither away quietly.  That’s really up to you all at this point.

Regardless, it will be taken down from Anti-Flag.com shortly to allow room for the site to go in whatever direction seems fitting to whoever is left here.  Maybe it will be added back to Anti-Flag.com one day, but that is dependent on what it becomes."

ECS
It means that I do not have time to run a forum anymore.  I am giving this forum away to someone else, if there is a desire for that.

So my priority right now is not on getting rid of spam, as that will go automatically when the forum is moved to a different web address.

#15 Punk Rock Geek

Punk Rock Geek

• Administrators
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostJohn, on 09 April 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

PRG, just want to say you're a great person and it is inspiring to see someone so consistently dedicated to making the world a better place as you are. "Real life" put my ideals in the backseat for me and sometimes I look back thinking, I could have been more serious about making a difference. And maybe I still can.

I really think that if TPU got restarted as an independent site from AF's site, it'd have a chance. Maybe never to be how it was but a cool and close-knit community. Or not. But it fading away won't change our experiences on it.

It's crazy how I've changed since I was 14 year old anarchistloserkid. I'll remember this site fondly, though, I did too much on it to ever forget.

Thanks John, I really appreciate that.  You have grown and changed so much in the time I have known you.  ^_^ Thanks for the kind comments about me and the website!

#16 Punk Rock Geek

Punk Rock Geek

• Administrators
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:39 PM

View PostFloyd, on 10 April 2015 - 08:30 PM, said:

honestly i dont care what happens i would like for the site to continue to exist in some form, i also think it might get bigger again if it wasn't the "official" anti-flag forum anymore, we need a diverse user group, not just people who listen to one band, but if it must fade away into digital oblivion, well at least we'll always have the fake accounts we made on other message boards (i say this because "we'll always have stormfront" sounded terrible) and some stuff is still on the internet archive. if it must be shut down, maybe keep it all online in some kind of read-only format as a memorial for future generations.

one thing i ask, while you're here, if you don't do anything else, will you PLEASE DELETE THE ACCOUNT KNOWN AS "XRumerTest"
It was deleted.  ^_^

Yeah, it's up to you guys to decide what type of forum you want this to be.

#17 Kid Dynamite

Kid Dynamite

Confused Youth

• Confused Youth
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

Whoa. I just remembered this site and it's closing. I think I was one of the first 50 or 100 members who joined this site when it was first created. Im still connected with others on fb like Rissa and BillyBondagePants.

#18 Kid Dynamite

Kid Dynamite

Confused Youth

• Confused Youth
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

I cant believe the site still looks the same as the day tpu merged with AF!

#19 stereotypewriter

stereotypewriter

Confused Youth

• Confused Youth
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

Great to hear from you PRG! I want to throw my thank you's in while I can--thanks to everyone who made this forum great, who gave me an escape from a discontented life in the military, etc. etc. I hope that the TPU torch keeps burning however dimly--I know I'll keep coming back.

Maybe this is an oppurtunity to do something new regarding web activism--we always used to talk about a democratically moderated site, and there isn't really a central hub for real democrats (ahem, anarchists, ahem) online, as far as I know. Definitely nothing that is fun, active, and democratic...

Speaking of online, I don't have facebook...any of y'all use twitter?

#20 go!go!go!

go!go!go!

Can I kick it? YES YOU CAN.

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

Wow, this site popped into my head a few days ago, and I can't believe it's been that long since it was created.

Thanks for everything PRG. I've always been amazed at the effort you put into this place.

I'd be interested in knowing what everyone (i.e. those people who I can remember) is up to. What direction their lives have taken etc. What's the facebook group?
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users